Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lupron and Antibiotics

I have been taking 10 units of Lupron in the morning for about 7 days now, mostly side-effect free! The only change I have noticed has been mild nausea in the morning on occasion. I am using insulin needles which are so tiny I barely feel them... No bruises at my injection site (stomach!) or donor bump in site - yet. Now at day 8, I'll take my last birth control pill and continue Lupron shots once in the morning. Lupron is a gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH), and basically prevents your brain from sending signals to your ovaries to tell them to make estrogen. The result is a significantly lower level of estrogen in the body, suppressing the natural menstrual cycle. From what I can understand from my own research, it allows the Dr's to better control and sync donor/recipient cycles. It also helps to prevent premature ovulation, which would be a MAJOR catastrophe!

Next week I have my FDA panel again, and then the Menopur and Gonal F shots will be added to the loop. Reminder: The FDA Panel is required by law for all egg donors prior to donation to test for STD's, AIDS/HIV, Hepatitis, and drug use. I think it also involves another ultrasound just to check on the O's.

I was a little concerned the other day when I got a bad case of tonsillitis, and had to start taking antibiotics. (Side note: I LOVE the CVS Minute Clinic... in and out in 15 minutes with Rx in hand. I'll never go back to Patient First if I can help it!) Because antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of The Pill, I nervous that they might also affect my hormones & cycle as a donor. I would feel so guilty if getting sick meant that I would have to restart my cycle so early in the process. Thankfully my doctor assured me that the amoxicillin would NOT affect my Lupron or my cycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment