Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Initial Thoughts

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a child somewhere in the world that was genetically yours, and get paid for it? Well... I have. This seed of thought was planted in my brain when I was an 18 year old college student. One day I happened to be sitting in the campus lounge, and spotted a flyer that offered thousands of dollars to college girls for donating their eggs. Seriously... THOUSANDS? Without putting much thought into it, I was eager to sign on the dotted line right away. Lucky for me, I was too young at the time to do something so profound. That thought stayed in my brain for a few years, and a recent Anatomy lecture prompted me to reconsider the idea of egg donation.

What exactly is egg donation? Well, its pretty complicated actually. It all starts with a woman in need. There are a lot of reasons why some women need a little extra help to conceive, which it out of my personal realm of knowledge. University of MD Medical Center has a great informational website that presents a description of the process of egg donation better than I could ever explain.
Visit this site for the gory details: http://www.umm.edu/fertility/timeline_egg_donor.htm

Why exactly am I doing this to myself? There have been times in my life where I have been rather selfish. About 2 years ago, I met someone who gave me a metaphorical slap in the face and told me so. My boyfriend, Chris, is one of the most generous people I have ever met, and he has since inspired me to change my ways as a somewhat self centered woman. Don't get me wrong, I have a loving heart and a kind soul, but I didn't always make the extra effort to extend a helping hand when I have been so fortunate to be well off. I have since decided to find several outlets to help those in need. This is one of those outlets. I can donate money, time, material things, even blood... but what better thing can I donate to someone than a family? The idea of giving that opportunity to a needy couple truly makes my heart melt. I would love nothing more than to give someone a chance to have a family as loving as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment